Sunday, February 1, 2009

what was i thinking?


So, obviously I wasn't really paying any attention to the calendar when I decided to kick all things junky and go healthy! Today is the Super Bowl! And, we traditionally have quite a spread of food to munch on during the game. Like that massive, cheese ball pictured above. lol (By the way, I'll share the recipe at the end of this post. It's really good!) Not a really smart time for me to shape up w/ my eating habits. But, I guess that I will view this as my unhealthy eating habits getting to go out with a bang! Nothing says "Bad for You" more than a cheese ball and a huge relish tray full of super, salty olives and pickles. The only thing that I have going for me is that I don't eat meat, so I won't be eating any of the greasy, hot wings. I did get some Morningstar Farms Chick'n Tenders and I'll have those w/ some honey-mustard and some BBQ sauce.

I did make it to Whole Foods today and will share what I got in a bit. I am going to keep track of my favorite products and their prices.

So here is a great cheese ball recipe that was given to me by my dear friend, Lisa. The original recipe calls for 12 oz of shredded Colby cheese but with little ones always running around it is just easier to use 2 -8 oz. packages of shredded cheese. We love Sharp cheddar, so that's what I use and even though it's more cheese than the recipe calls for, it turns out just fine. More cheesey, than cream cheesey this way!

Creamy Cheese Ball

2 - 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell pepper
1/2 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 - 8 oz. packages shredded Sharp cheddar cheese
paprika and/or dried parsley flakes
your favorite crackers

Mix cream cheese, onion, garlic, green bell pepper, parsley flakes, Worchestershire sauce and paprika. Add shredded cheddar cheese to cream cheese mixture and mix well. Form into a ball and sprinkle well with paprika and/or dried parsley flakes. Cover and place in refrigerator over night. Let sit out an hour before serving, to soften the cheese ball for easier spreading and less broken crackers! Enjoy!

God Bless,
di

No comments: