Friday, September 25, 2009

It's all in the details..... - digital layout

I just finished this layout this morning and I am so happy with it. It's super-simple, but I want the focus to be the journaling. This one is for another challenge at OScraps!. I am SO loving that place for awesome challenges! The challenge was to scrap a photo and to journal about what is going on in the background of the photo.....to document the little details lurking around back there. I picked a photo that I took of our dining room one Fourth of July. If you read the journaling, you'll see why this photo means so much to me.

It's all in the details.........

It’s the small things in the background that sometimes catch my eye more than what the actual photo is about. This is just a picture of our dining room on the Fourth of July but when I look at this photo, I see so much more. I see our dinner table that has been in Joe’s family for over 100 years and remember Joe’s dad sitting at that table with us eating dinner and telling us the story of when he was a little boy and had broken his arm. Doctors came to your house back then and the doctor set his broken arm on that very table. The blue table cloth is the same one that
has been on that table since Joe was a little boy and when you see photos from Joe’s kitchen, this same table is sitting there there with the exact same table cloth on top of it. I see the row of plates on the buffet. I grew up with state plates lining the wall in our kitchen and my mom bought me several of those plates. I have onefor each state I’ve lived in, plus a little one for Silver Dollar City that I couldn’t resist. Silver Dollar City is such abig memory from my childhood. I see the stack of books on the buffet. They are old Bibles and prayer books. Each of those books was very special to their owners; Joe’s dads Bible, my Grandma’s Bible that was given to her in 1949,and Joe’s moms Daily Missal, Joe’s great-grandmother’s pocket prayer book. Each of these books holds small treasures inside....notes written on papers of favorite verses, dates of births and deaths....reminders of loves ones who have passed long ago. I also see new trinkets that my children will grow up with. My ever-growing collection of porcelin Saint statues on a shelf and flea market plates.
I hope that one day when my children look at the photos that I have taken, they remember to look in the background, and to see the little things. And I know that they are just things, but they are the little details from our lives.

I hope you all have a blessed day!


No comments: